Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) refers to a set of symptoms that affect behavior, especially in children. As it is identified during childhood, this syndrome is not frequently associated with adulthood. But for obvious reasons, a child with ADHD can grow up with it. Here you will find some tips that you can follow to simplify your life and live happily with this disorder.
Lack of attention, hyperactivity, compulsive behaviors, anxiety and emotional instability are, among others, the symptoms or signs of Attention-Deficit / Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) that mainly affects children and young people – especially boys – but also affects To adults. It is estimated that 4% of adults can suffer from this behavior disorder , and many may not have been diagnosed yet.
If you have already been diagnosed, it is important that you take steps to cope with the day to day, responsibilities and issues that you have to remember. If you have not been diagnosed but suspect that you may have ADHD, consider visiting a specialist. The following is a list of ADHD symptoms that are worth analyzing so you can know if you have this disorder:
- Constant boredom
- Bad memory
- Difficulty concentrating when you read
- Difficulty controlling your anger
- Low selfsteem
- Difficulty organizing things or events
- Problems at work
- Leave everything for the last moment
- Problems in your interpersonal relationships
- Sudden changes in your mood
- Abuse of drugs or other substances
Anyway, here is a list of tips for you to live in harmony with this syndrome that can cause distractions and forgetfulness that can affect your personal and work life. Take note!
- Buy an agenda or use an application on your smartphone to organize your day and write down the events you have or the things you should do. Whatever you choose, it does not matter. The important thing is that you review it at least three times during the day.
- Make a list of what you have to do each day, upon awakening. Top the list with the most important and as you achieve your goals, see them off the list.
- Make time to organize your home or your desk every day. If you take something from a place, return it to where it was. Discard what you do not use.
- Group important elements that you do not want to forget before leaving home like the keys, the wallet, your glasses. You can use a box or a table located near the door so that you always see them before leaving and avoid forgetting that can cause setbacks.
- Managing money can be difficult for people with ADHD. Therefore, always write down what you spend. Set aside a notebook or an application on your phone to record your daily expenses. Thus, at the end of the month you will know how much you spend and you will be able to handle the money better.
- Eliminate distractions at work. If you have to complete a task, redirect your calls to your answering machine; use headphones with relaxing music to block the sound around you, ask for an office space that is more private to avoid being distracted by people passing by, turn off email and other social networks. Concentrate on one task at a time.
- If you have trouble concentrating or starting a task, try to do it for periods of 15 minutes. At 15 minutes, analyze if you can continue working on that same project. If you can not do it, walk a little, take a breath or leave for the next day.
- Simplify your life: having fewer things and fewer activities to do on a daily basis will make your life much easier, and you will be less likely to lose objects or not get to meet events or schedules.
- Organizing in general is important to make your life easier if you have ADHD. Use colors to mark events, accounts, it can be fun. For example, a red folder to save the expenses of the car, a green to keep receipts of expenses related to the house, etc.
- Exercising is also excellent for channeling your energy.
However, if you feel very overwhelmed in your daily life, consult a qualified professional. You can live with the Attention-Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) function in work and in interpersonal relationships and enjoy life.